Monday, June 21

Summer Vacation: A Tale of Two Meanings




va·ca·tion

[vey-key-shuhn, vuh-] noun
1.
a period of suspension of work, study, or other activity,usually used 
for rest, recreation, or travel; recess or holiday: Schoolchildren are 
on vacation now.

Chapter 1

Mom:  School's out! Get your suits on and let's go to the pool!

Kids:  Why are you at the bus stop, Mommy?


Chapter 2

Dad:  Are you enjoying your summer reading, guys?

Minimus:  We just got out of school yesterday, Dad.

Dad:  Well, it's never too early to get started on it. 

Maximus:  We couldn't go to the bookstore to get our books because Mommy took us to the 
                  pool.


                                                        
Chapter 3

Dad:  So, what do you both hope to accomplish this summer? Let's look at 
         your lists!

Minimus:  See? I told you he'd ask about The Lists already.

Maximus:  But it's just the first week of summer vacation! 

Dad:  If you don't have a plan, then before you know it the summer will be over and you 
        won't have anything to show for it.

Kids:  We tried to write our lists but they got wet when Mommy took us to the pool.


Chapter 4

Dad:  Have you been working on your college essay, Minimus?

Minimus:  Dad, I'm 11.

Dad:  That doesn't mean you can't be thinking of some themes. 

Minimus:  I suppose I could work on it at the pool. 


Chapter 5

Dad:  How are your summer activities coming, kids? Did you organize your Habitat build 
         today?

Kids:  We wanted to work on our "Wells for Alagongua" project but Mommy took us to
          the pool.


image/cascadeplungenashvilletn

17 comments:

  1. I am with you, pool all the way. Plenty of exercise and fresh air will develop the grey matter in a more subtle way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, dear Crayon!
    I love your Maximus and Minimus - they are clever! And "A mother's place (let's share this pearl of wisdom from Shirley Conran) is in the wrong." If it is - and it is - WHY NOT in the POOL?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not heard that quote before and it's perfect! So yes, why NOT the pool?! And the park, and the flea market, and the lake, and the...

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, I'm always the person who thinks we should be doing more learning type stuff in the summer, but then I just end up taking them to the pool and beating myself up when school starts because I failed miserably.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waterproof workbooks! We could make a fortune and lose the guilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What other place is there BUT the pool?

    Sheesh, dad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think waterproof workbooks are the way forward: you have found your opportunity to make a mint!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sense two conflicting agendas here!! And the LISTS! We used to have those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fran! Oh yes, the LISTS! I thought a little homage to them was in order at the beginning of summer. My little blog needs a good dusting...

      Delete
  9. Oy, when are you going to start posting again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for missing me, Fran! I joked that when the kids were off at school I got a dog and a blog and now that they're both home again for awhile my blogging time has been severely compromised! Hoping to get some quiet time now that the holidays are over and spend some time with it-and everyone-again. Hope your holidays were fun and thanks for popping in!

      Delete
  10. Dear Caryn,
    glad that you followed my meanderings to berlinletters! I hope you will end your quite long vacations soon - I love your hilarious posts! Britta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Britta! Hope everything is going well with you!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...